Thursday, November 23, 2006

5 mile Turkey Trot

Today was a perfect Thanksgiving Day for a 5 mile race. The weather couldn't have been better. We had clear sunny skies, cool 40 degree temperatures, and some light winds for the race. The course had some rollers as it weaved around the downtown area.

Pumpkin pies were given to the top 50 males and top 50 females. My goal was to come home with a pumpkin pie.

At the start line of the race we had the couch potatoes guys, two Elvis sightings, and a couple business guys dressed in their suit and tie and carrying in one hand a brief case and a turkey leg in the other. The smell of the leg was good but I didn't want to get hungry so I stayed out of the path of the wafting smell.

The run went well and I finished strong with a PR of over 8 years in a time of 28:50 and a pumpkin pie to boot.

I have to admit I am thankful for the strength and endurance I've gained this year and that my training and racing has gone so well.

My race results can be viewed here.

10 comments:

Kewl Nitrox said...

Woah! I'm not sure I can do even 5km in 28:50, let alone 5 miles. You sure earned that pumpkin pie. Enjoy!

Oh and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Neese said...

WOW! you deserve a turkey too, great job!

Triteacher said...

You are unbelievably fast. Way to run!

Deb said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

Paul said...

I bet that pie tasted pretty darn good too! Nice job.

JeffM said...

Way to win the pie! I've had 5K's slower than that- you arew fast.

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

WOW! Congrats on the PR!!! So, what do you attribute your speed improvement to? Strength training? FIRST? Something else?

That's great.

Brian said...

Lou...slow down man : ) You're making a lot of younger guys look bad! Just kidding! You are such an inspiration to me!

Anonymous said...

Great job! Yay, for pumpkin pie!

Anonymous said...

Not too shabby! Did the pie come with whipped cream?

I'd watch out for those guys ingesting turkey before the race; they'll have an unfair advantage with that growth hormone running through their veins.