Saturday, February 03, 2007

PR on the Treadmill

Today's weather was a cold 9F with -10F windchill. I was planning on running 20 miles outside but my wife reminded me of running in the past during freezing temps where I would come home after a long run, and I would have one frozen family jewel.
That was enough for me to reconsider my running plans for the day. She suggested I run on the treadmill and run 5 miles at a time throughout the day. I thought I'd get on the thing and see what happens.

After running 10 miles at a 7:30 pace with an incline of 1 %, I was determined to get the run done in one long 20 mile stretch. I knew I'd have to keep things interesting for the last 10 miles so I played with the speed and incline.
The last 10 miles went like this:
2 miles @ 7:00 pace, 0% incline,
1 mile @ 7:30 pace, 0% incline,
1 mile @ 7:30 pace, 6% incline,
1 mile @ 730 pace, 0% incline,
2 miles @ 7:00 pace, 0% incline,
1 mile @ 7:30 pace, 0% incline,
1 mile @ 7:30 pace, 6% incline,
1 mile @ 7:30 pace, 0% incline.

Running 20 miles on the treadmill today was a personal record and I got to see the display time go from 99:59 to 00:00 for the first time, too.

Some other numbers I recorded during my run was:
Listened to Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium - 2 times,
Lost count of watching cartoons on WBKids with no sound,
Ate 2 packets of vanilla Cliff shots, one at 7 miles and the other at 14 miles,
Drank 1 sports bottle of water with 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and 2 teaspoons of raw honey,
Average heart rate - 127 bps,
Max heart rate - 144 bps,
Total time to run 20 miles - 2:27:41

My legs didn't feel like toast after the run and I was glad to finish a nice run on the treadmill.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm quite impressed that you ran the whole 20 miles on treadmill. You are sure motivation for me to still run even though it's cold outside!

JeffM said...

That took motivation- great job. I noticed your pace was the same at 0 or 6%, the hils don't even slow you down.

Neese said...

this shows your mental focus is solid! 20 miles! astounding!

Deb said...

Holy Moly! That's one heck of a run! Boston will be cake! ;)

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Wow! Nice job! I saw where CurlySu ran 18 on the treadmill as well. You guys rock!

Brian said...

I thought of you this weekend and was hoping you didn't run outside!! I think the Chili Peppers should perform a post race concert at Boston just for you!! Great job!

Trisaratops said...

WOW. Now THAT'S some serious mental training! :)

Janet Edwards said...

Wow, after reading this and completing a rather miserable 9 mile run outside on Sunday, I may have to try a long run on the treadmill if it is below zero next time. Thanks for the motivation and fantastic job!

Kewl Nitrox said...

WOW 20 miles on the treadmill. I wonder if the blokes at the hotel gym will let me do that... :)

GP said...

Great blog and words of wisdom on running. I noticed you took the age-group cake at St. Malachi last year. I'm running my first 5-mile race at St. Malachi this year. Will you be joining us on the banks of the Cuyahoga? I just hope it isn't too cold or rainy!