Sunday, April 22, 2007

Wasting no time.

I'd like to thank my family, friends, and including those I've never physically met here in blogger land, for all your encouraging words sent to me for running the Boston Marathon. I am motivated to train and race well, in part, because of all your kind words.

To recover from the Monday marathon on Tuesday I walked 30 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the afternoon. Wednesday was a day of rest. On Thursday I swam for an easy 1000 meters. The soreness in my legs lasted for a good 3 days and by Friday I felt no pain walking up or down the stairs. Friday was another day of total rest.

On Saturday I ran an easy 5 miles with my son along side me on his scooter. He thanked me more than once for the good time we had enjoying the park scenery while chit-chatting.

On Sunday I rode my bike outside, for the second time this year, for a nice 24 mile ride.

This week I start an 18 week training program for a Half Ironman triathlon. I will use the tri-newbies program to help keep me focused and on track for the August 19th event.

The first 12 weeks is a base build up of mileage. Weeks 13-16 consists of speed/quality workouts followed by weeks 17 and 18 to taper. If I can keep most of this schedule I should be confident and happy to compete in my first Half Ironman Triathlon.

10 comments:

The Salty One said...

Good for you, PL! Sounds like you had a nice recovery week. You'll be back better than ever when you hit the water in that tri.

Also, thanks for the kind comments on my blog. I don't think I'll be running a full marathon until the fall, but I am planning on running the RiteAid half. Maybe you'll be there?

Sam said...

Congratulations on your Boston run and your smooth recovery.
You've just whet my appetite a little more for that experience.
I've been running long enough know that I know what I have to do and I just have to dig deeper and get off my duff and do it.
Very proud of you!
Sam

Kewl Nitrox said...

Congrats on finishing the Boston in style. Taking the time to show appreciation to the family is truly the icing on the cake. I was reading your post on the Boston yesterday, but Blogger comments was acting up.

I am very keen to read more about your 18 week HIM training plan and how you go. That's a probable objective for me next year.

Anonymous said...

Congrats again PL! Sounds like you've had a great week of recovery and back at it!

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

That Great Buckeye Challenge looks like a lot of fun. I'm sure you'll do great. That is so heartwarming that your son thanked you for the time spent with him. How nice.

About your comment on my blog - you sure do know how to motivate me, don't you? I accept the challenge, Papa Louie. :)

qcmier said...

Didn't really look at the training plan, but you are definitely not a tri newbie. It will be fun following your trek to your HIM.

Iron Eric said...

Sweet!! You are a great runner and all the hard work shows. Thanks for the update about your upcoming plans of your 18 week half ironman plan. It is good to see that I am not the only one who converts plans running to triathlon, triathlon to running, etc.

Way to go at Boston!

JeffM said...

With your running abilities and your training discipline- should be in the top of your age group for the half!

Deb said...

Very cool Louie. Glad to hear you're doing well. I heard the weather in Boston last weekend was beautiful?!?! Did they wait for us to leave?LOL!
Good luck on your training and make it fun!

Janet Edwards said...

Sounds like a nice recovery week. It will be interesting to watch you in your first half ironman endeavor! I am sure you will tear up that course as well!