Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I ran with Lance

Today's run workout was an audio download on my ipod from Carmichael Training Systems.
My run began with a 10 minute easy jog to the local college track and then 5 by 20 second stride outs. Coach Chris Carmichael explained the workout and would direct the times of when to speed up and when to jog/walk the recoveries. During coach Carmichael and Lance Armstrong's encouragements, selected music that they chose, played in the background to keep me motivated.

The main set began with a 4 minute run at tempo pace followed by 2 minute recovery jog. The intervals increased by 2 minutes up to 12 minutes yet recovery time remained at 2 minutes. The way I monitored my pace was by keeping my heart rate at 140 beats per minute. I also had my GPS watch to monitor my pace, distance, and laps.
Cool down was an easy 10 minute jog. Total workout time was 1:03:18 for 9.5 miles at a 6:40 pace.

This was a novel run with an ipod coach and soundtrack. I had fun with it and would do it again.

If you want to do the tempo interval workout click on this link to register and download the 2 free workouts.


Next week I'll run with Lance to do the speed workout.

6 comments:

qcmier said...

That sounds like a fun and interesting workout. I'm not sure if I can get myself to run with headphones though.

Anonymous said...

Lance can definitely inspire the best of us! Great, fast run!

E-Speed said...

I'm with Alan but I'll give it a try!

GP said...

You know, I loved getting my congratulations spots from Paula Radcliffe and Lance Armstrong. I think the early part of my running life (i.e., 3 months ago) was partially fueled by their encouragement. There's nothing like Lance giving you a high five. I'll have to check out these workouts.

Deb said...

Sounds fun...I find it hard to do train without an IPod. I've got to work on that, because sometimes just being still is what I need!

Unknown said...

I can't run without tunes or noise of some sort. Maybe that's why I spend so much more time on the bike! Sounds like great workout with some inspiring "company".