My 12 week training schedule begins this week for the Cleveland 10K in May.
The workout I am using has 3 key workouts. Tuesday is track day where I run intervals of :
400's @ 1:18 pace,
600's @ 1:57 pace,
800's @ 2:41 pace,
1000's @ 3:23 pace,
1200's @ 4:12 pace,
1600's @ 5:38 pace.
Thursday is tempo runs of short (@ 6:13) and mid (@ 6:28) running paces for 3 to 6 miles.
Saturday is long tempo pace @ 6:43 for 6 to 10 miles.
These paces were calculated based on my recent 5K race. Next time I won't race as hard so that my training paces won't be at a blusterous pace. I'm hoping to survive these 12 weeks somehow.
So, on Tuesday, we had a beautiful snow storm blow through the Cleveland area and that left me to move my run onto the treadmill. With over a foot of snow on the track there was no way I could knock out 8 X 400's at a 1:18 pace. My treadmill can reach a max speed of 12 miles an hour (5 minute mile pace) so after a 15 minute warm up I ran 8 x 1:30 @ 12 miles an hour with 1:30 rest between reps. It was a good workout and it didn't beat me up so bad. So far, so good.
OK, and I was tagged by trainingtotri to list 7 weird/random things about me so here are 7 random things I could think of.
1. My perfect Winter snowy day would be me out cross country skiing in the park enjoying a decent workout with beautiful scenery.
2. My perfect sunny Summer lazy day would be me laying down under a big oak tree in the park reading an inspirational novel about swimming, biking, or running for half a day. Then I would get up and go to a park table and play chess with the old timers for the rest of the day.
3. My perfect cool Autumn day is my wife and I backpacking in the mountains enjoying the serenity of a bright and colorful forest.
4. My perfect sunny Spring day is my first day out on a long bike ride along country roads.
5. My perfect rainy day is me in my pajamas sitting around the fireplace drinking green tea and reading.
6. My dream is to go back to Hungary and spend a month there learning about my family history and enjoying the culture.
7. My dream is to live to 100 years old and be active in sports, family, and community.
I'll volunteer to be the last one tagged.